The Benefits of a Face Roller
- 13 minutes read
Have you ever seen a face roller on your Facebook or Instagram feed? Yes? Perhaps you’ve also seen one at your friend’s apartment?
Well, just in case you’ve not, the face roller is a small gadget that is made from rose quartz or jade. Some face rollers have two rollerballs. Others look like a small rolling pin.
The face roller is believed to have immense benefits to the skin.
Why are people so much in love with the face roller? And is the face roller trend here to stay? We’ll find out this article.
Face roller benefits
Face roller has many benefits. By simply massaging your face with the roller, you’ve done a whole lot of good to the skin on your face. Massaging your face releases tension and eases stress, just as is the case with a body massage.
Here are some of the benefits of using a face roller:
- It improves the circulation of blood in the face: Studies have shown that the face roller stimulates the flow of blood to the face, which brightens and firms your skin.
- It deals with stuffy sinuses: Several studies have shown that the face roller can clear stuffy sinuses. However, not much research has been done on this.
- It decreases puffiness: Another face roller benefit is that it can decrease the puffiness of the face. It does this by stimulating the drainage of the lymph.
- It soothes and cools your skin: If you use a jade (which is naturally cold) or you keep a roller in the fridge and then use it on your skin, it will have a cooling effect on contact. This cooling effect de-puffs your skin and makes your pores tighter.
- It enhances the uniform distribution of skincare products: Rollers are typically used with a moisturizer or with oil. This will ease the movement of the tool across your skin. Doing this will also ensure even distribution of the skincare product to your skin.
Face roller massage myths and facts
So, just like every other thing, there are some myths and bogus claims about the face rollers.
In this section, we will discuss some myths and truths about facial rollers and facial massage.
- It improves one’s mood: It sounds funny, or do I say weird? But studies have proven that a facial massage eases anxiety for some people.
- A face roller has a slimming effect on your face: Nothing could be farther than the truth. A facial roller cannot slim your face. The best way to slim your face or any part of your body is through exercise and nutrition. But then, you should note that the facial roller has de-puffing capabilities which can give your face a temporary slimming appearance.
- A face roller can help contour your face: This is a fact. You can use the face roller to drain fluid from your face. This, in turn, has a contouring effect on your face. To drain facial fluid and contour your face the right way, roll it up at an angle, then push it downward by your ear. By so doing, you will push the fluid to the lymph nodes.
- Using a face roller can help flush toxins from your body: This is another proven face roller benefit. Activities that stimulate lymphatic drainages, such as facial rolling or massage, also detoxifies the body.
The right way to use a face roller
The following steps will guide you on how to use a facial roller properly:
- Apply a moisturizer, serum, or facial oil. If there’s no lubricant, you may end up tugging or pulling on your skin with the roller, and this will cause wrinkles.
- Begin from the neck. Roll upward. Do not roll back and forth, but up only. This will give you the best results.
- When rolling, do it gently from the jawline to the ear on either side. Do the same from the jaw to your cheekbone.
- Roll from your forehead up in the direction of the temples.
- Roll flat horizontally over your eyebrows. This will have a relieving effect if you have a headache.
- You can do facial exercises or a facial massage without a roller. Facial exercises are also called “face yoga.”
Should you use a face roller frequently?
Yes! You can use it every day without any problem whatsoever. According to dermatologists, the best results are obtained when you use it every day.
How long should you roll with a face roller?
A few minutes of rolling will destress and de-puff your face.
A study conducted in 2018 found that 5-minute usage increased the flow of blood to the cheeks. A 10-minute roll will be plenty indeed. Stop if you feel hurt while rolling.
Types of facial rollers
There are different beauty facial rollers on sale. So, it is understandable if you feel a bit confused about where to start.
One of the most common stones found in rollers is jade. The Chinese have used it for centuries.
Apart from jade, face rollers are also made of:
- Rose quartz
Metal and jade are naturally cold. Whether you store them in the fridge or not, they will still give your skin a cooling sensation.
Rose quartz can maintain its temperature for a long. So, if you want something cold, or you intend rolling for at least a minute, then a fridge-stored quartz roller is your best bet.
Jade is not as hard as quartz, so quartz is more durable and not easily breakable.
Jade isn’t as smooth as others, but the extra friction is good for contouring.
Amethyst is believed to have a purifying effect on your skin, and it also helps with the treatment of acne. However, no research has been done to verify this claim.
Shopping for face rollers
Two of the best rollers with excellent reviews are:
- 3 in 1 Jade Roller for Face and Gua Sha Set from Matykos
- Jade Roller and Gua Sha Set from Atahana
How to identify a fake jade roller
There are two genuine jade:
Most rollers are made of Nephrite jade as it is less of a precious stone compared to jadeite. Of course, this is also why it is pocket-friendly.
However, there are some totally “non-jade” rollers in the market. They are made with fake stones that have been treated with polymers or dyed to give it a shiny look. You wouldn’t be happy to have that on your face, would you?
Here’s how to identify fake or genuine face rollers:
- Tap a piece of genuine jade against the roller you want to buy. If it gives a plastic sound, then chances are that it is a fake.
- Touch the roller. A genuine one will feel cold to the touch.
- Take a close look at the roller. A genuine one shouldn’t have any air bubbles in it. What you should see should be some irregularities or marbling on the surface.
- Make a light scratch on the surface of the roller with the tip of a pin or with your fingernail. A genuine one won’t have any marks on it.
The right way to clean a facial roller
- Use a clean, washcloth to wipe off the excess oil. You should wipe it after usage or once a week at least.
- Use a mild soap or face wash to kill bacteria. Ensure that the roller is rinsed well with room temperature water.
- Try not to put hot water on your face roller. Also, do not soak your roller in water.
- Always dry your roller by laying it horizontally on a clean dry cloth.
Tonika Bruce, also known as The Network Nurse, is a multi-talented individual with a career spanning over 20 years. She’s a Registered Nurse, speaker, author, and advocate for change, excelling in business building and team development. Tonika holds two Master’s degrees in Nursing and Business Administration, (MSN & MBA) and is currently pursuing her Doctorate of Nursing Practice in Executive Leadership.
Her expertise extends to various fields such as nursing, entrepreneurship, business, basketball coaching, and executive leadership. She is a published author of “Relentless Pursuit: Proven Tips for Unlocking Your Potentials, Limitless Success and Post COVID Syndrome: A Guide to Repositioning the Nursing Profession for A Post COVID Era”. Currently, Tonika is working on Thrudemic, an anthology examining the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on medical professionals and patients.